Wednesday, August 22, 2012

How to Install Fonts

I love finding new fonts! Recently I sent a gift to a friend and I thought it would be fun to type her name and address in Harry Potter font to put on the package. She's a big Harry Potter fan. 

So I went to my favorite font website, www.dafont.com, searched for Harry Potter and found the font!



My recent favorite font finds:
 

Always a good one for your Font collection: 

Here's how I installed the font:
  1. After finding the font you want to install, click Download
  2. The file you download will most likely be a zip file. You'll have to unzip/extract the file to see the font files (.ttf or .otf). When you see the font files, keep this window open and visible to you on your computer.
  3. Now, open up your Control Panel on your computer.
    • On Windows, I like to view my Control Panel by Icons. The default is to view by Category but I just find everything difficult to find in that view.
  4. Click on Fonts
  5. Have your Control Panel Fonts and the Font files opened side by side.
  6. Drag the Font file (.ttf or .otf) you downloaded into your Control Panel Fonts window. 
  7. When the file is done installing, scroll through your Control Panel Fonts to find your newly installed font.
  8. Open up any program and use your new font!

They have so many fun fonts on www.dafont.com. Check it out and use some new fonts today!

Enjoy!
Pin It

4 comments:

  1. I spent forever downloading fonts a few weeks ago. I think I'll have to check out throw my hands up in the air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great Lisa! I love the way that font looks on some of my graphic projects.

      Delete
  2. Lyndsay - do we use the same font files if we're installing on a mac or are there files with different extensions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue! I'm sorry I'm not as familiar with Macs but I did find this: "Mac OS X recognizes TrueType and OpenType fonts (.ttf and .otf) but not the PC bitmap fonts (.fon)." So it looks like it would still work! http://www.dafont.com/faq.php has some more information on Macs and installing fonts also. Let me know how it goes!

      Delete